Through the Christian Service Program, all students of Padua Franciscan High School are offered the gifts of humility and poverty in spirit as they follow the example of Saint Francis in loving service to others through Jesus Christ.
Students are required to perform four years of Christian Service at Padua. Students will receive specific requirements for each year through Campus Ministry orientations and Theology classes.
Freshmen Service – Overview
Freshmen will complete 20 hours of Franciscan service by the end of the 3rd quarter. The minimum hours for each quarter are:
- 6 hours of service 1st quarter
- 2 hours Family Service
- 2 hours Padua Service
- 2 hours Parish/Community Service
- 9 hours of service 2nd quarter
- 3 hours Family Service
- 3 hours Padua Service
- 3 hours of Parish/Community
- 5 hours of Parish/Community service 3rd quarter
Freshmen cannot start service until after the start of the school year.
Sophomore & Junior Service – Overview
Sophomores and juniors must complete the service requirement from sites on the Approved Agency List (for Sophomores & Juniors). Students are encouraged to complete the service requirement over the summer.
All sophomores and juniors will complete 20 hours of Franciscan service. The minimum hours for each quarter are:
- 5 hours – 1st quarter
- 10 hours – 2nd quarter
- 5 hours – 3rd quarter
Juniors are required to volunteer at one agency for at least 10 of the 20 required hours. The remaining hours (10) may be completed at any agencies on the Approved List.
Senior Service – Overview
Seniors will be required to complete an Advocacy Project in their Social Justice class.
- Completion of this project fulfills the service obligation for the senior year.
- Due dates will be established by the Social Justice teacher.
General Requirements of the Franciscan Service Program
- Students submit all hours online through x2Vol.
- Service Reflections due in Theology class count as 10% of the final grade.
- The Service Requirement is a pass/fail grade to indicate completion of service hours.
- Students are required to perform four years of Christian service at Padua.
- Students will receive specific requirements for each year through Campus Ministry orientations and Theology classes.
Justice and Solidarity
Students are encouraged to take advantage of Mission Trips and the St. Francis School Partnership. In addition, Padua students have the opportunity to learn about Catholic Social Teaching and participate in social action events organized by this network of students and teachers from Catholic high schools and colleges from across the Diocese of Cleveland. An example of a Catholic social action event is students taking part in the annual Rally for Life in Washington, DC.
Christmas for Others (CFO)
As a long standing Padua tradition, Christmas For Others (CFO) is the largest student run fundraiser in Northeast Ohio. Our students raise over $30,000 each year to help local and global charities.